View Single Post
Old 09-14-2001, 02:24 PM   #14
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
I'm well aware that the effect is not drastic, or even anything you can feel while driving the car.... And for the record- I've never had interest or for that matter know a damn thing about domestic muscle, big displacement engines, etc. Shit, I don't even know what a pushrod engine is.
WoW! Take a deep breath, bro... :o

Below are statistics from a test conducted at Dynamic Autosports on a Dynojet Model 248C Chassis Dyno. The story can be found in the October 99' Issue of Sport Compact Car.

• Average Power Gain 4700 - 7800 RPM
  • DC Sports 4-1 Race 7.0
  • DC Sports 2 piece 2.7
  • Air Mass 1.9
  • Comptech 1.6
  • Greddy 1.5
  • Neuspeed 1.3
  • RS*R 1.0
  • Mugen 0.1
  • Pacesetter -0.6

Average Power Gain 2300 - 5000 RPM
  • Pace Setter 1.5
  • DC Sports 2 piece 1.2
  • DC Sports 4-1 race 1.0
  • Greddy 0.7
  • Air Mass 0.5
  • RS*R 0.4
  • Comptech 0.3
  • Neuspeed 0.1
  • Mugen -1.1

Dyno numbers are just numbers. They do not represent real world driving performance. Headers will act quite different with various intakes and exhaust systems and buyers should take this into consideration. Many combinations will produce worse results than the stock CiViC header. It's a crap shoot!

You know, it doesn't cost Honda any less money to make a power-robbing restrictive header than a non-restrictive one. In your "opinion", why would Honda do this --- to piss-off its loyal and dedicated customer-base? Or, are Honda engineers just stupid???

As you can plainly see above, there are actually some negative numbers, or power losses. Many others show essentially zero sum gain. I read a 'shoot-out' last year where the Pacesetter a.k.a. Pacesh!tter exhausts recorded a -1.9 HP, or 2% loss under the stock header. And, look at that damn Mugen, one of the most expensive ones in the test...

Threads like this will hopefully increase awareness of our sport, while sending a message to aftermarket manufacturers that consumers do have a voice. Feedback from other users will assist manufacturers in modifying and designing performance parts that work at least as good as the OE Honda header.

Don't get sucked into marketing hype, bro. It hurts our cause and fattens the wallets of scoundrels...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote