View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #1
thermal
Banning Machine

DSM 450cc injector install (pics)

DISCLAIMER:
THE WORDS WRITTEN BELOW ARE BASED SOLELY ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. IT IS NOT A TEXT BOOK PROCEDURE. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MISHAP AND/OR CAR DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR DURING THE PROJECT. USE COMMON SENSE TO PRACTICE SAFETY. ENJOY AND GOODLUCK.
-thermalfi'd16-

Elapsed Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

INTRODUCTION:
Do not install these injectors unless a tuning device is available and ready to be programmed. A 450cc injector on stock ECU fuel management will cause a major idling problem. This procedure applies to most Hondas/Acuras that were manufactured before 2001. The advantage of using the DSM 450cc injectors are the same as any top name brand injectors with the same flow rate. The flow rate difference is also noticable:
Refer to pic 1

Note: Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery prior to conducting any electrical work.

MATERIALS:
-A roll of 12-14 gauge wire
-Zip ties
-Electrical tape
-Heat sink
-Soldering lead
-Clean rag

PARTS:
-DSM 450cc injectors (Part numbers are listed on the schematic)
-Older Honda/Acura resistor box (can be easily found on 88-91 CRX/Civic
-If resistor box is not available, use a 10ohm-10watt resistor
Refer to pic 2

TOOLS:
-Soldering iron
-Wire stripper
-Metric wrench socket set
-Wire cutter
-Dremmel with accessories

STEP 1:
To modify the "Peak and Hold" characteristic of a set DSM 450cc injectors to the "Saturated" requirement of a Honda power plant, follow one of the schematics below.
Refer to pic 3
Refer to pic 4
Refer to pic 5

STEP 2:
Remove the stock injectors by removing the 2 bolts that hold the fuel rail in place as indicated by the picture below. There are 2 nuts holding the fuel rail in-place. Remove both of it. There will be residual fuel that will drain out. Be ready! Unclip the stock injector individual harness and carefully pull out the stock injectors.
Refer to pic 6

STEP 3:
Clean the injector holes with a clean rag. Slowly and carefully position the DSM 450cc injectors. You may have to replace or modify the stock injector bottom seal/o-ring. I used a high temp o-ring. You can use a dremel tool with a round sander tip to enlarge the inside diameter of the stock injector bottom seal/o-ring. Use plenty of lubrication in order to easily slide the injector with the o-ring on. I do not recommend the grinding of the intake manifold method. MODIFY THE SEAL INSTEAD! Or use the kit from NAPA. Retighten the fuel rail nuts.
Refer to pic 10

STEP 4:
Complete the DSM 450cc injector wiring as indicated on the schematic. I highly recommend using a solder. Crimping will work as well. Put more quality and effort by using a solder and heat shrink. Just please, do not just twist and tape it. Reclip the injector individual harness. DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.
Refer to pic 7

Note:
I used the injector clips that came with the DSM injectors as indicated in this picture:
Refer to pic 8

Regardless of which injector clips you use, during the wiring procedure, you will have to cut and rewire the injectors anyway. I chose the DSM clips due to its availabilty. Others have used the CRX/Civic injector clips as indicated on this picture:
Refer to pic 9

This is how it looks like in my Engine Bay:
Refer to pic 11

Goodluck and forward your questions to me...

If you need to get the S/VAFC "hack" procedure, go here:
www.geocities.com/thermalfid16/VAFChack1.html

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum

Last edited by thermal : 11-16-2005 at 01:41 AM.