View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 09:44 PM   #100
Ty's Si

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
That's a nice sunset pic, is that the normal size where you're from? We get everything from lake to double overhead here. It changes everyday. I'd be out tomorrow (waist and clean) if not for the whole 2 degrees outside...

Where are you located?

Well it depends I guess. I have been here in Sarasota (45 minutes south of Tampa) since September so I'm still trying to figure out how the swells affect certain spots. But of course we get hurricane swells in the summer and we know what the potential for that can be dpending on the strength, location and course of the storm.

But in the winter when we get low pressures moving through the state we typically get a ground/windswell that ranges anywhere from waist to head high. I have seen bigger but usually it's victory at sea, blown out and cold as balls (if you're a Florida boy like me).

I'm originally from the Cocoa Beach area on the east coast so getting used to the Gulf coast has been a bit rough. It's never as consistent over here. Swells can come and go in a day and you would never know it because of passing fronts and the inability for the Gulf to hold a decent swell for any amount of time.

But to answer your question, yea we get waves anywhere from waist to chest to occasionally head high + about once every couple of weeks in the winter and whenever we get a hurricane swell in the summer.

It's not completely flat here all the time, as some might think. But if you are used to head high + every day, this would be considered a shithole.