View Single Post
Old 02-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #70
4jacks

THIS IS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet a better thread has never been started !!

Accord Man, I understand Your examples with the gears, but I belive you worded it incorrectly "however the smaller one rotates at 6X to accomplish the same 360°"
360 degrees (how'd you get the degree symbol)... 360 degrees is 360 degrees no matter what gear it is, but your trying to say that if you roll a quarter 360 degrees it's going go farther than a dime rolled 360 degrees.

My train of thought was not in comparing gears to each other but to comparing the state of being in gear without acceleration, and being in nuetral coasting. When your in gear, even 5th and coasting at 60mph my rpms are around 2250, at the same speed in neautral rpms are at 1000.

I'm under the assumption that EVERY Revelotion of the engine (providing no acceleration) burns the SAME amount of gas, the gas mixes w/ air to fill the 1.6 liters and goes through the exhaust cycle. Hence Higher Rpms more gas burned over a given time. I may be wrong about that! but that's my logic into it. Granted if you press the gas pedal, the throttle will open wider and increase that gas mixture, but when the gas is not pressed I can not see how the gas mixture would change, just from being in a gear.

And who are the G O D S ???

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote