View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
IALuder

92-96 Prelude, clear rear blink mods
I am not responsible for anything that might negatively affect your car throughout this install. You take the inherent risks of doing this yourself.

Before i begin, i want to thank Audax, the original clear tail light write up man. Way back in the day. wherever you are, my hat is off to you....

Now down to work, set aside a good weekend to do this properly...and take your time with it...here we go:

Tools
1. Dremel/Razor knife
2. Socket set
3. Oven and/or heat gun
4. Clear epoxy

Needed...
1. set of stock tails
2. Bathroom filament plastic

Shall we begin....
Start:
stock tails:

1. Pop your trunk...

2. On the right and left hand side, open up the tail light pannels and un bolt the screws:
Pannel:

Things to unbolt:

3. Once bolted, seperate rear housing from the tail light, and clean tail light to prep for oven
(Past this step you may choose one of two options, the first is the quickest, cleanest route)

4a. Oven baking.
- Put your tails on a cookie tray wrapped in alum. foil so as not to hurt either the tray or the tails
-Set your oven for 300 degrees and once it is there, pop the tails individually in for 3 minutes at a time

-once in there, pop them out, and pry them apart....

4b. Heat gun.
-the old school way of doing it. using a heat gun or hair dryer, go around the edges of the light until they sofen, and pry apart with a screw driver (takes a couple hours to do right)

5. Once apart, pop out the orange/clear peice and trace it onto your bathroom fillament. Then cut the fillament peice w/ your dremel or razor knife.

6. Take the peice you cut, test fit, then glue it in place of the orange peice (some people do not glue, but i would just incase it falls out of place)

7. Let the epoxy dry, then repeat the heating of the tails in the oven, but push the peices together instead of prying apart.

7a. make sure the seals around the edges are still OEM perfect before reinstalling them:

8. Done! compare stock to clear:

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote