Thread: Psi Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 07:02 PM   #10
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Yes it was dyno tuned. The single cam motors will not hold up for a prolonged period of time on stock internals with over 7psi of boost. Hondas come stock with extremely weak rods and pistons. The stock compression will cause way too much pressure under boost causing piston/rod failure. Trust me, I speak from experience. It's easier to do it right the first time.

Especially since the guy is new to installing a turbo on a naturally asperated car. I don't think he is going to shell out the money to dyno tune either.

Also make sure you upgrade your fuel system. The stock computer is going to throw your check engine light on as soon as the fuel pump, injectors etc.. can no longer keep up with the extra air the the turbo is feeding into the engine. You have to upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator and possibly your ECU to compensate for boost.

I wouldn't suggest running a turbo off of a caterpillar. I'm assuming it's a turbo designed to run on a diesel engine. It's going to have massive ammounts of turbo lag. I would suggest saving your money and picking up a Greddy kit. Figure you are going to have to have a custom exhaust manifold made already, you might as well save your pennies for a few months and pick up the basic greddy kit for about 1500$. Just remember, do it right or don't do it at all.

If you have the means to build a one off turbo kit then by all means do. If you have limited knowledge of how turbos work and affect all other areas of an automobile then leave the kit fabrication to the pros.