View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 02:22 AM   #33
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
if i were u i'd go turbo all the way. on ph i heard of a guy that upped the cr on a h22 from 10.0:1 to 16.5:1 and all he was able to pull from his engine was like 250 hp. With that cr you need to run on racing fuel.

What is the web page for the f-max ? I want a turbo for my 92 accord. i heard that they make a good kit for it. Will 122k be too much ?

16.5:1?!?! All motor, you'd have to run at least 125-130 octane to prevent detonation. That's some damn expensive gas, I'm guessing at least $10 a gallon, although I'd bet on 2.2 liters of displacement, you'd still get 50 mpg. Boost that, and you're looking into the 150 octane range, which is absolutely unheard of. Importboi is right: after you hit a certain point, valve to piston contact ("dropping a valve") becomes an issue. The dome of the piston is so high that when the valve comes down, it strikes the piston- big problem. In some cases, this can be remedied with a stiffer valvetrain, but with 16.5:1, I don't see that as a feasible solution. The fastest all motor Hondas I know of run around a 15:1 cr (pump gas 12.5:1 at 5000 ft)- that drops as you add boost. With a dd FI set-up (8 psi), I wouldn't run higher than a stock cr.

As for fuel enrichment, you can usually get by with your stock injectors up to 8 psi. Anything past that, and you'll be running lean. Keep in mind that the heart and soul of any quick motor is the a/f ratio, whether it be through aggressive cams, large displacement, or FI. Only when you're moving enough of both will upgrading the injectors be necessary. The stock injectors are normally good up to 8 psi. Past that, look at upgrading.

Finally, turbo lag isn't all bad. What if you hit the heart of your power curve at 1000 RPM? The answer: you'd squeal your tires all day, and never leave the line. Turbo lag isn't all bad. The key is finding the point at which it won't hurt your launch.

OT: I have a friend building a B18C running a T4 in the 25 psi range in an ef chassis- 550cc injectors and 9:1 CR (keep in mind, this is at a mile in elevation). Look for updates soon.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote