View Single Post
Old 05-02-2002, 09:03 PM   #37
Incubus

The Type R intake manifold does indeed have shorter runners for high RPM power. I've got the literature to prove it. I don't think that's the issue anymore though.
I wholeheartedly agree that the Type R is pretty much a high RPM vehicle. If you don't believe me, toxy, i'll show you the videos I have of me racing at the track against my buddies type R. I was actually in the lead until about 3rd gear when he got traction and hit the sweet spot of his power band.
Now, I'm loath to say the whole "when VTEC" kicked in, but I've got it on video and he wasn't pulling on me until he was in the higher RPM range and my B18B couldn't hang at that level.

Also, I could be wrong, but was 2ndGen talking about overlap when it comes the the aggressive cam profiles on a VTEC (Type R) engine? From what I've read, especially with the Type R cams, overlap can be a problem when under pressure.

Anyway, when I was talking about the pros and cons of the GSR and Type R head, I was speaking from the point of money not being an object and having the "perfect" setup. I know you can understand that, toxy, as that's usually the viewpoint we take when talking about cars. But don't get me wrong, I think both heads are great for FI applications and mainly comes to availability, affordability, and application. hehe the 3 A's. Anyway, as you know, toxy, if I were doing a engine and were pulling out all the stops, I'd definitely use the Type R head. As far as the GSR head, you know I play devil's advocate, and was just saying that the GSR head isn't a bad way to go also.

Hehe.....I remember the day that Trong proved you wrong with the whole Integras not having sway bars argument. We all make silly mistakes. I think this thread should be renamed to be called "It's ok if you screw up"