View Single Post
Old 09-22-2001, 12:34 AM   #15
turbod97ex

What oil to use?

I switched to Amsoil 20-50 Racing synthetic when I installed my turbo. Amsoil was the first manufacturer of an automotive synthetic oil, way before Mobil1 (and I'm not knockin Mobil1), and they used technology from jet engine synthetic lubricants. Amsoil's wear test show that they exceed every other brand with Mobil1 on the bottom of the list - http://www.amsoil.com/products/tro.html
The only way you can buy Amsoil is through a rep, sort of like Amway, or direct. I bought a case of the oil direct along with a an oil analysis kit. The case has 4, 1 gallon containers. At first, I thought it was a mistake because it looks like Type F transmission fluid, but I got what I ordered. The oil analysis kit is just a plastic container and a mailing box that you send off to a lab to have your oil analyzed. I am about to send mine in this next week when I change my oil. I will post what kind of results I get. The cost of the oil is about $8.00 a quart and the oil analysis kit is $20.
Another important quality that I like about Amsoil is that you can mix it with other petroleum and synthetic oils. You don't always carry a gallon of Amsoil with you in the event that you need to add a quart.
On viscosity. The whole purpose of a multiviscosity oil is the oil's ability to change it's viscosity to the ambient and engine temperature. For example, a 5w-30 weight will be at a viscosity of 5 when it is super cold outside, those of you that live in Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, etc., and, once the engine warms up, will change to a viscosity of 30w. Consequently, the 5w-30 is good for winter driving but not good for summer driving. I know it gets *** awful hot up North in the summer and a 5w-30 just doesn't cut it in a turbo'd car. Better to go with a 20w-50 or a 10w-40.
On the other hand, in Austin, where we had 3 weeks of 100+ temperatures and where, in the winter, it freezes only once or twice, you could use a 20w-50 year round, and I do.