View Single Post
Old 09-19-2001, 08:14 PM   #11
adam

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 Fully Synthetic oil (cali style.. no cold) with a K&N filter. Change every 3000k, takes around 2 months. Previously I had deployed regular Pennzoil 5W-30

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
0w30? That's crazy. Just to make sure everybody knows what viscosity is a measure of- pretty much the oil's thickness.

As you would imagine, a thinner oil will cause less resistance to movement. I've seen considerable (5 hp) increases throughout the powerband just from switching from 10 to 5w30.

The bad news? As stated, thinner oil will not stick to your engine's internals as well as a thicker one will. This means that while the car sits not used, it will gradually drain off the pistons, wrist bearings, etc- putting a HUGE amount of stress on the internals upon startup. Bad news. If you live in a fairly consistently "nice" climate, I'd say you could get by with running 5w30. If you live in a consistently hot or cold climate, I'd stick with the 10. I wouldn't recommend running 0w30 consistently.

As for brand vs. brand- everyone I've ever known who REALLY cares about their car runs Mobil1- except for those that run Redline. 90% of the people I know who have run Redline say they quit doing so because they couldn't justify the expense to any sort of realistic advantages on a street car. If it were a race only trailer *****, sure, they'd run it. But for a daily driver, Mobil1 synthetic is all you need.

I think maybe he meant to type 10W-30 instead of 1 0W-30