View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
nonovurbizniz

Installed the new sony head unit

THING IS SICK...

I'm a little disappointed with a few things but over all it's the nicest headunit I've ever owned...

The don't likes:

1. You have to either use the remote ALL the time or use the ugly silver face that is angled awkwardly... especially with how high the civic stereo mount location is...

I may relocate it to the lower section of my 944 center console. That would also make it less obvious.

2. It's non-removable face and not a pull out so it's just sitting there waiting to be stolen...

If I do move it to the lower console then it will be less obvious and I might make a dummy plate that goes over the top of it that looks like something stupid that no one would want.

ALSO to top it off I couldn't get it to lock into the din chassis so it's not even locked in there... it's a tug away from being taken... you dont' even need the keys to remove it... Not like that has ever stopped a headunit from getting stolen though.

3. I don't really like the DSO it's alright but I makes the highs to intense but that may be a problem with my stereo... I have NO idea how the retards I paid to do the initial stereo install wired the fronts.

4. Display is a little too busy... you can get it down to a dull roar but I mean if you leave it the way it comes it literally plays movies in the background... it's weird. It would be alright if you could put movies in a format to play those but I'm not really too interested in watching some lame display movie on a non-lcd headunit... leave it to the DVD's imo.

THE GOOD:

1. Apparently Aiwa and Sony use the same harness... SO a couple weeks ago I spent a lot of time wiring in an aiwa harness for a temporary headunit... SO last night I basically unplugged one and plugged in the other... I only had to move one wire on te harness over one space and that was it.

2. It sounds AWESOME

3. It's WAY adjustable... it's got that EG7 thing... I've always said if you can control even 3 dif frequency ranges you have plenty of control... High Mid and Low is all you really NEED... but 7 is great because you can soften the transitions between high mid and low... It's F'ing great. Only thing I don't like about it is there is only one custom setting and I like to have at least 3 customs... they have like 6 other standard settings like Rock, Jazz, etc... but I don't really like those.. I'd rather be able to edit them all... but no big deal.

4. It's got 4 volt preamp outputs 3 of them high mid and sub. I haven't run the sub yet... My previous stereo only had one set of outs so I have those running to a active crossover then split to high and low from there... I figure once I wire it right it's going to be even better.

5. The MP3 navigation is great... you put all the songs from one band or genre into a folder and it treats that like a disc... so you can skip through folders and then through the songs in the folder... It also has that text crap so you don't have to play name that tune.

6. It's got an aux. input that can take any rca input or use unilink to control different accessories like cd/md changers...

Apparently there's an ipod controller for it to... depending on how the navigation and display work I may look into that eventually.

THE CONCLUSION

I freaking love this thing... and the fact that I got if for 199 when it lists for 360 makes it even better... I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT...

Now I'm going to spend some money/time on wiring it all up PERFECT.