Thread: Cam Info Please
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
JDMFantasy2k

well honestly if you want to go all motor, go balls out, don't do it half ass. Yes ITR cams are great, but i think your money would be spent better if you saved up for a complete valvetrain overhaul. Unless you just want to do little naturally aspirated mods to give it a little kick, but if you want some decent numbers, save your money. Once you got a good ammount saved up, pull the head, send it to the machine shop to be ported, replace all the valves with lightweight ones (i've heard good stuff about supertech and ferrera), then get springs and retainers. Retainers are tricky, people go titanium because they're lightweight, but i've seen titanium retainers wear down to nothing in 10,000 miles, and i'm not exaggerating, if you don't pull your valve cover every 1000 miles, they could really cause a problem, which is why many people stay stock. Then the cams are obviously a bit part of the equation, and a real set of cams will set you back a good ammount..

Now if you want to make real power with all that top end work, then opening up the bottom end is inevitable. In order to make real power in a small displace all-motor car, you need compression. Your average b16 has 10.2:1 compression, you'd probably want to get higher compression pistons in the neighberhood of 12:1, that way you can take advantage of the extra airflow. Lastly you'll need connecting rods because of the extreme stress of spinning up to 9000 rpm. It's not a total necessity, but if you throwing in pistons, it's insurance. Naturally once you perform all the mods you need to tune it on a dyno. Assuming you don't have much of an idea of what is going on (no offense, but i'm assuming you're new to the game), you should probably pay someone to dyno tune your car on the dyno, or possibly do a majority of the work. Also the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator should be left untouched, in my opinion. As for fuel injectors, you should probably upgrade to something larger. I'm not entirely sure what all motor guys use, but i do believe the stock fuel pump should be sufficient for anything you could accomplish. Even if you did everything i said here i can't picture a b16 putting down more than 200 horse on the dyno. But like i said, it's all about how involved you want to get.