Thread: Cam Info Please
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

First of all, there is not a huge difference between any of the type r cams. Get the ones you can get cheapest. Yes you can run them on a stock b16 valvetrain. However you could do things differently like i'm doing. Most b16's have a redline of 8200 rpm, and type r's are around 8400-8600. So to strengthen my valvetrain i installed integra type r intake valves, and inner and outer intake springs ( i matched the springs and valves since the springs are actually weaker because the valves are lighter). Then i took my stock inner intake side springs, and threw them inside the exhaust side springs. All b series vtec motors have double wound intake springs and single wound exhaust springs, aside from the type r motors (to my knowledge anyway). So what you could do if you want some insurance, is buy some inner valve springs and insert them in your outter valve springs on you exhaust side. I just went the ITR route because i wanted to replicate the type r valvetrain. But like i said, you can leave it stock and they'll work fine, many people do that witout a problem.

got this quote off team-integra.net .....

CTR cams differ only with the 1997-1999 ITR cams at the intake VTEC lobe duration ( by only 3 degrees more duration ) and ramp angle..that's it!! The intake max. lift are identical. The exhaust cams for both are identical. :

The 2000-2001 ITR cams are identical to CTR cams.

And yet the 2000-2001 ITR's make identical power to 1997-1999 ITR's!! There's no advantage in getting CTR cams for a B18C. - about 8-10 peak whp gain properly tuned.

As far as i know, the USDM 00-01 cams are identical to CTR cams again. So as you can see, the only difference is 3 degrees more duration on the civic type r intake cam. So get the cheapest ones, 3 degrees really isn't shit, especially when you could buy a real cam like, spoon, toda, jun, etc.