Thread: street racing
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2002, 03:10 PM   #14
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Gurl
so what are u supposed to do when there is no track around?? we have one here, but it's only open like once a week, during certain times of the year, they charge an arm and a leg to run once and they're far away. people here just set illegal races on a deserted street where no one is in harms way. i don't see the harm in going there. the only street racing i do have a problem with is the kind where people are racing in a lot of traffic where they're endagering the lives of everyone around. u just gotta learn to be smart about where u race, and know when to stop, even if it means losing. i've known a couple people who just didn't want to lose, so they don't slow down, and they end up crashing.

You make it sound like racing is a necessity.

Hey, if you want to risk your own life, and that of your car, that's fine with me. Racing is inherently risky whether it's on the track or not. It's just more risk when not on the track, I'd rather save it for the track. As long as you take reasonable precautions then it's not so bad, just don't put anybody else at risk.

I was primarily referring to racing in settings where the general public is around, such as taking off from lights, etc. Racing with a buddy on a truly deserted road....go for it. But if people are around, or could be around, don't do it.

Also be wise. That's a problem with many younger drivers who are so fascinated with racing, they don't have the experience that some older drivers may have, which can easily land one in a bind. Many of the younger drivers also lack the self discipline to be safe enough.

And don't be hating on the cop when he gives you a ticket or arrests you, afterall, he's just doin his job and you knew you were breaking the law.

b