View Single Post
Old 10-28-2001, 12:52 PM   #45
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Flames
...Why do you feel the need to completly diss the hell out of someones car?... Face it, Honda is about marketing and selling lots of cars. It will sell FAR more cars by marketing them as economy cars then it will as sports coupes...
You don't seem to get it, Big Flames! The CiViC, as we have known it, doesn't exist any longer. The 'new' CiViC isn't a CiViC at all. It's a compact car built on a 'truck' chassis. You should be scolding Honda, not me...
Quote:
2001 Honda Annual Report

In reviewing the Company's automobile production for fiscal 2001, which was supported by strong sales of the all-new Civic and the Stream and Odyssey minivans [all three share the same chassis - bdc] --despite a drop in exports to Europe--Honda manufactured a total of 1,234,000 units in Japan, including complete knockdown (CKD) sets for export, an increase of 1.6% compared with the previous fiscal year. In fiscal 2002, Honda predicts domestic automobile production will increase 4.3%, to 1,287,000 units.
Please note that Honda Corp. refers to the 'new' CiViC as the "all-new Civic." Perhaps we should be doing the same. The 'old CiViC' died and was buried in 2000.
Quote:
AutoAsia Online
All-new Honda Integra has grown up
on the latest Civic platform so that it
can replace the struggling Prelude.

The first full model change on the Honda Integra for eight years replaces the Prelude in Japan, the US and Europe. Sitting on the new Civic (Global Compact) platform, the Integra is substantially larger than before...
I am offering this to you as an insight, Big Flames. Many ppl are wondering why Honda Corp. killed the 'Lude. This is the answer. It also explains why they killed the CiViC. Also note the comment about its "substantially larger size."
Quote:
Engineering.net [UK]
...In moves to improve the capacity utilization ratio at Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing (HUM) in Swindon, United Kingdom, Honda also announced plans to focus the factory on the production of models based on Honda's Global Compact Platform-including the Civic series and CR-V in order to achieve lower new model investments and higher production efficiency...
Yes, you read that right. The CiViC and CR-V will now share the same chassis also. Don't believe it?
Quote:
Edmunds.com
First Drive: 2002 Honda CR-V
Getting Better All the Time

Someday, just for the novelty, I'd like to drive an all-new car that is noticeably worse than the car it replaced. It's getting tiresome to hear how every new car these days "is new and improved!" (And yes, I missed out on the '70s/early '80s crappy American car era.)...

Alas, the 2002 Honda CR-V is not such a vehicle. It is (to my partial dismay) better in just about every regard, which is significant in that there wasn't much wrong with the CR-V to begin with. Along with the Toyota RAV4, the CR-V was one of the first compact SUVs to be built from a unibody passenger car platform [e.g. 'new' CiViC chassis - bdc].

The new CR-V is based on Honda's Global Compact Platform, the same one used for the Civic and RSX... This translates to better crash safety and ride quality. The new platform also produces less noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Building the quietest compact SUV available was one of the key design goals...

Since it is based on the Global Compact Platform, the '02 CR-V has a MacPherson strut front suspension, a change from the previous double wishbone design. The rear double wishbone suspension has also been modified. It's worth noting that the new front and rear suspensions, as applied to the Civic and RSX, have received mild criticism [yeah, mild, right! - bdc] for not providing as high of a degree of wheel control as the double wishbones did. Given the CR-V's less sporty nature, however, the changes should be virtually undetectable.
Is it starting to sink in yet, Big Flames??

"The new CR-V is based on Honda's Global Compact Platform, the same one used for the Civic and RSX..."

"Building the quietest compact SUV available was one of the key design goals..."

"It's worth noting that the new front and rear suspensions, as applied to the Civic and RSX, have received mild criticism for not providing as high of a degree of wheel control as the double wishbones did. Given the CR-V's less sporty nature, however, the changes should be virtually undetectable..."

Am I making my point, or do you need more proof??? The CiViC, as we have known it, is dead and buried, and it isn't coming back. If you and the 'soccer moms' like it, fine. It's your choice. But, I'll be damned if you or anyone else is going to put a sock in my mouth concerning this bullsh!t. I'm spreadin' the word, bro!

Lead, follow, or get out of the way ...

That said, I'll tell you the same thing I tell my other detractors. If you don't like what I have to say, put me on your 'ignore list'. If you don't know how to do this, I'll be happy to walk you through the process.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.