View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #20
Joe Anstett

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
why am i hearing all of these stories about pontiacs whipping up hondas?i never knew that pontiacs were fast really..... they just dont seem like the "speed-type" of car.

Yeah, this looks like an librarian's grocery getter, right?

??? And Hondas look like the "speed type of car"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disrespect you guys, don't take this the wrong way. I respect guys who make any car fast, but I have to be honest, if you're going to try to make a fast car I have to wonder why you wouldn't start with one that's fast in the first place. I confess, I never understood why the craze of modding Civics started (as opposed to, say, Corollas or Sentras). They are by nature not fast cars, they're economical commuter boxes (of course there's some blurring, like the Civic SI). If any Honda had the sports car pedigree it was the Prelude and now S2000, not the Civic!

A lot of people don't like the whole "Fast and Furious" generation but I will admit I see where it's not really that different than the past. The "style" is different but the roots are the same -- taking cheap cars that are easy to work on and making them go faster. That's what happened with the hot rods of the 30s and 40s, the muscle cars of the 50s and 60s, the 5.0s and GNs of the 80's. Now it's just the compacts' turn, but it's the same deal. The cars are cheap and they're easy to mod, which causes an aftermarket to sprout up. And I'll be the first to admit that my car is not easy to work on.