View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
blind34_1

okay, more specifically my plan is:

to build a solid, stable, reliable engine. , to run in the 90 civic. Easily boostable in the future, but for now, leave that out.

planning to use oem honda parts, for their quality. NOT planning to use many aftermarket internals, because this is not an engine intended for racing, just my personal enjoyment, and it needs to be reliable and long lasting. I plan to use the stock LS rods (because they are already super strong), oem piston rings, because they are pre gapped and garuanteed to be right. oem bearings, again for quality. stock crankshaft, again for quality, and it is well balanced from the factory.

I plan to work on this with my cousin, who likes building engines and related car work. He is also a manager at autozone, so parts are easy to get. Between the both of us, I think we can get this thing done and running before september (which is my projected finish date).

I'm not wanting to send the block off to have somebody do the work that we could probably do (as far as assembling). Looking at some of prices those places charge, I think my money would be better spent buying quality parts and assembling/installing ourselves.

Headwork is still kind of a question mark. I need to call around and figure out where a machine shop is in my area, and I need to find one that knows what they are doing. I need one that will be patient and willing to sit down with me to decide what i need. (You've already helped me a great deal, so now i can get some terminology right, and kind of know what im talking about!)

I'm still thinking I'm going to use honda valves, springs, etc. just for their quality. The valves I currently have should be okay, but should I get new springs? I've been reading this article, again from endyn, and it was kind of enlightening: http://www.theoldone.com/components/cylinderheads/
and disturbing. Makes me wonder if any old machine shop is aware of some these concepts that they (endyn) have figured out.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote