View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
blind34_1

Dells are fine for most people. The only real problem I have with them is their "pre-bundled" software (the OS coming on "recovery discs") and a bunch of crap you don't need. And lots of times they will use proprietary hardware, so when something major fails, be prepared to bend over...

and your 4500S is a classic example. look at this link: http://support.us.dell.com/support/e...ov.htm#1101565

the power supply is propreitary: the only place you can get it is through dell. their goal is to use the cheapest components possible to sell low-priced systems. This PSU will likely fail sooner than most.

looking at the rest of those components ona 4500S, you've got hardly any room for expansion of any kind for two reasons: no physical room in the case, and no PSU to support the extra load, it's an obscene 180 watts. You're looking at minimal upgradeability. You may be able to add more RAM, and thats about it.

integrated crap graphics - big surprise as it couldnt handle a REAL graphics card.

$650 was probably not a horrible deal back when he bought it. A machine like that is fine for people that just want a computer to get on the internet, do office work, and play simple games. For everyone else, it is simply not enough.

Mycivicjust8u, I'm not dumping on you or your dad's decision to buy you that computer. But in looking at the upgradability options and Dell's decisions in hardware, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about what computer they may want to buy. I'm just making sure all angles are considered before a large investment is made.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote