View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
blind34_1

Alright, I'll break my 5-month forum sabbatical to put in my two-cents...

That seems a bit excessive on Norton's part...but not really surprising. Basically, Norton is telling you "I am all you'll ever need, so delete these other programs because I don't know how to co-exist..."

Now people may jump all over me for this, but I'll give my opinion.

My opinion is Symantec's antivirus and security products suck. I've given them chance and chance again. Poorly coded programs coupled with obscenely high memory usage has made me dump my subscription and never look back. It's inability to remove most spyware and other infections helped my decision also.

I currently use AVG 7.5 (free), and have had no virus issues. I run a spyware scan every couple of months or so using a-squared (free), and have nothing more than cookies. These are my results. Yours may vary.

On my laptop, I use NOD32 from Eset. This is very impressive, although not free. For the money, this is an impressive piece of software, and blows Norton out of the water. It does what it does extremely well. It would be worth looking into.

I would also say reinstall microsoft's defender software (or anti-spyware, if you like the old version), for its background services. If you find it works for you, by all means reinstall it. As I said, I do not use it, as I don't seem to have the same malware issues as others have.

Good luck.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote