View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 07:48 PM   #165
Honda_Tengoku

depends on how good u are with tools. Most people will say go with the B series. most likely a B18B. The reason why is the B18B can be found for a good price, it uses all honda mounts mounting into your car, and can be swapped easily. The B18B is good for N/A or forced induction. If u want to go N/A then u go LS VTEC. Its pretty indepth to do it right for N/A, but a built LS/VTEC can absolutely scream when built right. I have seem some very fast ones!! If u want to go forced induction well who cares about VTEC when your on boost. really. U can make very good power on an LS engine with boost. Another good thing about the B18B engine is they are good to about 300 WHP before parts start breaking! This would be most peoples reccomendation.
However if u are hardcore, can handle doing an H22 swap, the price, and an engine that sits 2 inches lower in the engine bay, and like lots of torque then the H series is for u. Right now the H22 is king for all motor. I dont care what all u little B series lovers say. U just cant beat the H22's! On boost, well they respond as well as any other engine with proper tunning. They however will only handle about 5-7 pounds of boost on stock internals. The 92-96 H22 engines are closed deck and can handle a bit more. They can roughly take about 275-300 WHP before parts start breaking. Now u say why boost an H22 when I can make 300 WHP with a B18? Well most people seem to forget torque. Torque is the most important figure for a street car IMO. That is why an H22'd 300 WHP Civic will destroy a 300 WHP B series Civic. It is not uncommon for a turbo'd H22 to make 30-50 ft pounds more torque than a B series. I have seen dyno graphs around 250 ft pounds of torque range at the wheels with H22'd Civics boosting about 7-9 pounds of boost.
The new option would be the new K series engines. They are going like wildfire and are the wave of the future. They are I think 80 pounds lighter than an H series and respond better to mods than an H series does. Definately hot stuff. The downfalls are they are very very expensive, and the aftermarket hasnt caught up yet so parts are very expensive.