Thread: what happened
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #21
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Rice
Well said Chris..

Do I have a legitimate use for a M246 at this moment in time, no not really, nor do I own one. Is there a potential that it may come in useful one day if the Shit hits the fan, I hope not but I'd rather be safe then sorry.. I can't honestly say that I wouldn't want one. The fact is I don't have the money to go out and buy a fully automatic assault rifle, or have the money to burn on ammo for one. Last time I check, my AK and SKS were both semi-auto, along with all of the rest of my guns with the exception of my Pump shot gun, and Single shot shot gun. If shit started going down, I can promise you one thing though, the AK and SKS would be my first choice to defend myself. Start with a high powered rifle, and try to get them before they were close enough to fend off with my AK and SKS, then resort to the AK and SKS if need be, if I still needed it.. The shotty would be close quarters to hopefully finish the job.

As for that nutcase neighbor that owned an M246.. I'd feel better knowing that my next to neighbor had one honestly. There are more good people in this world then bad, and most that are serious enough to own an M246 would be the person I'd want standing next to me if shit did hit the fan.

It's a proven fact that no-gun zones don't stop crime or violence, neither do gun bans. If I were a criminal I'd much rather hit up some place that I knew had no potential of defending themselves. Whether it be with buck shot or a 7.62x39 round. All of these College shootings are prime example.

We agree to disagree on this topic. I don't expect any to agree with me either. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

The thing is Jeremy, I don't think we DO disagree...at least not fundamentally. I believe firmly that people should be able to own a vast array of guns. I'm not much of a gun man...I've trained hard to learn how to defend myself with my own hands while, in a disagreement/conflict/episode of Cops, any dumbass can pick up a gun. That being said, if the other guy's got a gun, I'd better have one too. No sense taking your fists to a gun fight. Most people will use firearms for one of two things: protection and/or hunting. Overly large caliber weapons don't make sense when hunting because unless you're hunting big game and you absolutely need a one-shot kill you're probably going to blow away half of the damn thing. Likewise, most protection will be done in close quarters so something like a shotgun works pretty well. Hell...even a .22 would make someone think twice about breaking into your house. And that's kind of my point. Outside of the extreme situation most people won't need a military grade weapon (and while you're right about an AK or SKS normally being sold as semi-auto, you can't ignore how painfully simple it is to convert one to full auto or a burst shot mode). Now assuming some serious shit went down...some sort of invasion or full on war in this country...I would certainly hope the government would legalize or even make available the kind of weapons people need (read: serious hardware). And I absolutely agree with you about gun free areas (well...maybe not colleges, because who needs a gun in chem class?). If you ban guns then the only people with guns are, by definition, criminals. Not a good mix. Just ask anyone in Japan who's seen Yakuza shit go down.

As for you Chris, I honestly don't have a vast understanding of the economy. At least not enough to agree or disagree with a large portion of your argument. You've gone to school for that stuff so I'll have to at least assume it's pretty sound. I will, however, clarify that when I say I want to tax the shit out of the rich, I mean personally. I wouldn't favor increased taxation of corporations because, as you pointed out, they'll just find ways around it. But raising the personal income tax of the rich shouldn't (assuming they adhere to ethical guidlines) effect their companies at all. I'd also really like to see big financial penalties to companies who outsource work that could easily be done by people here. I understand that some things just have to be had elsewhere...but when I call an American company and have to speak to someone I can barely understand just because India's (or the Phillipines, apparently) labor force is cheaper (ask anyone who's ever...and I mean ever...called tech support), it pisses me off. Not because they don't know what you're talking about or because I have trouble understanding the accent, but because I know enough people out of work who want to work and can't because good jobs get outsourced. This country doesn't make anything anymore because shit's cheaper everywhere else. There's nothing to sell so debt is king...just ask any of those banks that sold bad mortgages over and over again. We depend on money to make money and that's just gotta stop unless we wanna be tits up in no short order.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote