View Single Post
Old 10-22-2001, 12:41 PM   #23
MrCLoWnY

Hey whats up xbird. a little late but welcome to hondastyle. Ok, let me see if I can answer your question. The block is the lower part of your engine. The bottom half of the motor where the pistons and the rods are. To understand how u can boost more you'll need to know how an engine works. In order to have combustion in your engine you need three variables. SPARK, FUEL, and AIr. Turbo is what you call an FOrced Induction application where as the name states forcing compressed air into the engine. As you FOrce more air you need to raise the amount of The other two variables i just talked about. SPArk and Fuel. THat is y you change the fuel pump, get a fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors and some kind of fuel management unit like vortech FMU or ApEx vafc. That will take care of your fuel needs but it will get a little complicated in a little bit. You'll also need to upgrade your ignition like you said. People ususally go with MSD and its pretty simple. That will fulfill your 3 basic components. Know that the Greddy Turbo kit comes with a very small turbo and the stock boost is set at 5.5lbs. At that low boost you really won't need to upgrade nothin. It will run fine. The Greddy Comes with a blue box that works as a fmu and is good up to 8 lbs of boost. So as long as you don't boost more than that you should be ok. HOwever, if you can afford it it is highly recommened that you upgrade your ignition and your fuel pump. NOw if you want to boost more than 8 lbs then your gonna have to do some serious work. It is very easy to fulfill your spark and air requirement but putting in the proper amount of fuel is a little tricky. As you boost more there are more chances of detonation in your motor. This happens when you don't have a proper mixture of the three components we talked about. This is where A Standalone Fuel management comes into place, which will actually completely replace your stock ecu or takes complete control over it allowing you to tune it on a dyno to find that perfect combination. This will help you fine tune your car so that you motor never detonates. only downside is that it cost an arm and a leg. Also as you boost more you need to Build your motor. Which means to change your internals ( pistons, rods). By replacing these parts in your motor you are making it stronger which makes it able to take more boost. I hope this has helped.