View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
blind34_1

I'm more concerned with having problems stemming from a blockguard. This comment from the endyn guys has me worried:
"
The concept is really a good one. My personal experience with them is that the top of the cylinder bore runs extremely hot due to the lack of coolant. We have taken the unit and used a 3/8" end mill and scalloped the circular sections which surround the cylinder bores. We leave only 1/8th" sections every 3/8th". So you still support the cylinder, but only in 1/8th" wide areas, which allows much better cylinder cooling, and if you do this mod, and you really need the support, do it....it'll work. Make sure that after "fitting" the unit, bore and hone after installation. Also deck the block after installation and clean the block thoroughly before assembly. Do not, under any circumstances remove the blockguard after all this machining and prep, or you'll need to start over.
"
for this reason, I might just go with a girdle onthe crank side, and use a thicker head gasket.

And, yes I am on a budget (who isn't?), but I am willing to spend more now, then have to fix my decisions made in cheapness. I want to do it right the first time.

My goal is to get the car running naturally, then be able to add turbo later on, with as little problems as possible.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote