View Single Post
Old 10-17-2001, 03:47 AM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

For the cost of what you're talking about doing, you could very easily swap a B16A in, and make tons more power. B16s also have a much greater availability of parts. Also, you can independently tune intake and exhaust timing on a DOHC, which is very important in high power all motor VTEC applications.

If you're absolutely set on keeping your D15 block, making power is going to be tough. Stroking the block to 1.8L is going to ruin your engine geometry, making high revs extremely difficult to do reliably. Just make sure you also sleeve the cylinders and go with good connecting rods (Endyn or Eagle). With the added stress your cylinder walls and rods will see from the rod angle, you're going to need it. Finally, make sure you get some good rod bearings.

I'd also go with a good head package- Gude makes a good one that claims pretty impressive gains. If it were me (I'd get a B17A, but anyways...), I'd wait for the Jun D series cams to come out- hopefully in the spring. P/P by Portflow, and a ton of other good stuff. I'd also go with a D16 bottom end- just as cheap to get the whole engine, rather than do the conversion and have less displacement.

Block guards don't make power. They make it safer to rev higher, making more power. However, they inhibit the flow of coolant. You'd be better off sleeving your cylinders or going with good geometry, so you don't need a block guard.

Finally, a VTEC controller won't work without an ECU. It's a piggy back unit onto your existing ECU. I'd recommend keeping your ECU, other wise it's going to be pretty hard to tune.

Everything you're talking about is physically possible, however. If you're set on having something no one else has, I say go for it.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote