Thread: Sound System
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2001, 01:46 AM   #17
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

My 2 cents, for what they're worth (probably 2 cents, unless we're in Canada):

No brand is "better" than any other brand. One brand may be better suited to your needs, but not better.

My advice is to go listen to every speaker you can hear, and get the stats on every deck and amp out there and make an educated decision.

Different speakers sound different to everyone, not to mention differences in everyone's tastes. For instance, I hate MB Quart speakers with a passion. That titanium dome tweeter is one of the shrillest, tinniest POS's I've ever heard. My buddy swears by Quarts, and won't shut up about how crisp and clean the high end is. I, on the other hand, love the Kenwood Excelon separates- tons of midrange, silky smooth (literally) tweeter, tons of depth tp the sound. However, they have almost no low end. Awful for people with no subs. My favorites are the A/D/S 641 PX 3 way separates, but not too many of us can spend $2500 on a set of speakers.

Decks- what are you looking for? If you want something flashy, you can't do a whole lot better than the high end Pioneers. If you're after sound quality, you can't do much better than the Nakamichi (which look almost stock- no flash whatsoever). However, the Nakamichi won't do you a whole lot of good without some nice, clean amps running some good speakers.

So think about what you want out of your system as a finished product, and what you're going to do to get there. Then go listen to product and figure out what best suits your own taste. We can answer all the tech questions you can throw at us, but can't tell you which speaker you like the best.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote