View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

Bro check this out..... I've done several unkyard set-up on people's car. Actually a $2000 budget is a lot, unless you are including a laptop with that.

I did a JY set-up that tally only $300 on a D15B EG and he would spank a JDM ITR swapped EG on short distance and mid range..

Anyway, if you just want boost that is enjoyable on the streets for daily driving, try to score any of these turbos:
-14B on 2nd gen DSM GST/GSX
-T25 on 1st gen DSM GST/GSX
-T25 Nissan/Mazda
-T3 Saab/Volvo
-T3 Super60 T-bird

IHI turbos are great as well. I just cant remember which car they came from. If you pick anything along the lines of a T3 turbo, you will be okay....... I prefer a T3super60 turbo on a street JY D-series set-up. It puts out more volume....

Any of those turbos will be great! I wouldnt worry too much about the wastegate. Most JY turbos come with internal WG. You just need a boost controller to increase the boost later. I would definitely invest on a decent one. Do not get the GReddy Profec-b Spec2. They suck!

It's your call to use the water cooling lines. There is really no need for that. I ran a TD04h-15g without water cooling for 5 years. Never had a problem with it. Just run synthetic oil and use a turbo timer or idle your car for at least a minute to flush out hot oil from the turbo.... which also allows a more even cooldown on the turbo itself.

Crome and Ubedata are great stuff hands down. I would rather use Crome tho. I heard Uberdata crashes more than Crome. But I really dont have any experience with any of those items.

DSM GST/GSX injectors are not 440cc. They are actually peak/hold 450cc. It will require a resistor pack. Read this:
http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=11436

Save the oil lines and fittings from whatever JY turbo you get. You might need that later.

BOV is just a mater of choice. DSM BOV's are not too loud. I like Tial BOV's cuz it sounds more of a whoosh than a turkey call. I have stickied some sound clips for you to check out. Tial BOV's cannot be rerouted. If you do not want a high pitch sound, stay away from GReddy TypeS, HKS super sequential, and TurboXS RFL. Remember that the bigger the outlet of the BOV, the better. Which is why I like Tial race BOV's.

HF manifolds are not as bad man. Or just go to www.homemadeturbo.com/forum and ask around. You can find a decent log style D-series manifold pretty cheap these days. Check out their classifieds.

My advice is to find the turbo first. That will get you started since you will have to base your numbers to that. It will also provide you an idea on what turbo manifold to use. T3 flatform is always great and pretty standard... but once you start picking these Japanese turbos, the turbo flange bolt pattern becomes weird.

Goodluck and keep me posted. I'll help you out. ........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote