Thread: breaking 120?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 04:21 PM   #27
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
i'd say a h22/b18c5/b18c1 can handle those extended periods of revs... remeber your tranny is taking the major abuse of spinning, not the motor. 6k rpms is 6k rpms on the motor at any speed

you really think so? i want to believe that... i feel like i shouldn't drive my b18c1 the way i do. i commute like a madman- 180 miles roundtrip everyday. my car is garaged right now, but when i was doing my commute with it, i was almost paranoid to drive that car fast for extended periods. because of the low gearing, driving 80 (no admission of guilt) put the motor above 4000 rpm, and 90(again, i'm not saying i ever do that) would be over 4500. i know this engine is designed to spin up to 8000+ rpm, but that extended period at such a high piston speed makes me worry. i posted a thread about that when i first got the car, but no one ever answered what a "safe" cruising speed is. do you know? the one thing i think makes the rsx reign supreme over the integra- the available six speed tranny... i love my 'teg, but i know that when it's supercharged(one of these days) i would like the car just that much more if i could tear through fifth and drop one more gear... and that's really only for peace of mind, because it makes me worry to turn 4k+ rpm for an hour and a half.

what's the worst that could happen? the crank seizes and the rods go out the oil pan.