Thread: Really?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8killimports
WWII also became unpopular after a while, and people wanted to pull out of that as well.. wars are unpopular because they are war. Bush is the first war time president to win a re-election I believe.

I think it's a tad unfair to compare Iraq to WWII. First of all, WWII was actually a war...Iraq isn't. Call it a police action or whatever you want...we never declared war. The reason WWII became unpopular was because people were asked to sacrifice...a lot. At first they did it gladly but after a while, like most people would, they started to want the things they used to have back. Plus, I'll be fucked if I'm starting a war garden.

I really think that's why people here don't get this war. They haven't had to really connect to it. They haven't had to give anything up for it (aside from a good number of civil liberties). Hell...people have actually been told to go out and consume MORE so the terrorists don't win (big anti-terror sale at Best Buy!!!!). Even though many of us who don't serve have friends or family who do (I have both), you really only see them on their mid-tour 2 week leave and when you do actually talk to them I'm sure the fighting is the last thing they wanna talk about. If anyone here actually had to stare this war in the face I believe we would've pulled out a long time ago.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote