Thread: paint
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
AkimboStylee

take your time, prepare the car, and make sure everything is clean, and believe it or not, make sure everything is sterile.

when you paint, stay between 6-10 inches away from the object. go with light coats, and after the car has been fully coverd with one coat, wet sand the car and clean everything. dont rush. wait atleast 30 minutes after the car isnt tacky anymore to wet sand. take as much off of the car as you can that way you will get the perfect coverage. when desired amount of coats are applied, wet sand again and clean everything again.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE TAKING YOUR TIME. BUY GOOD EQUIPMENT AND NOT CHEAP STUFF!!!!!

oher than that have fun, and if you mess up, clean it up right away.

6 coats of paint, wet sanded 8 times (ran out of sanding blocks 3 times) and now we are ready to do the clear coat, which has to be done quickly in each coat so it is even.

OH AND BY PREP I MEAN SAND THE CAR DOWN TO THE METAL, AND USE A METAL SEALER, AND APPLY IT TO THE CAR, APPLY 1 LAYER OF PRIMER, SAND, APPLY ANOTHER LAYER OF PRIMER (IF DESIRED) AND ALLOW TO SET 36-48 HRS. WET SAND. RE TAPE EVERYTHING, AND PAINT THE CAR. START WITH THE HOOD AND FENDERS, THEN THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR(s), ds REAR FENDER AND SO ON, JUST WORK YOUR WAY AROUND THE CAR. WET SAND AFTER EVERY STAGE, EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST COAT OF PRIMER, THAT WAY IT WILL HAVE SOMETHING FOR THE NEXT LAYER OF PRIMER TO STICK TO.

oh and dont use 2 stage paint (paint and clear mixed) cause it just wont work right, always use a 3 or in my case a 5 stage paint (sealant, primer, paint, clear,sealant and of course heavy wax and buff) - as taken from another post of mine

mine paint is enamerl, and stay away from 2 stage paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant stress it enough, if you are going to do it, do it right, and do it right the first time!!!!