View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 09:56 PM   #6
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
I'd recommend a cat-back system, or you won't really gain any power.

I'm going to disagree and quote a letter written to SCC.... well I'll just refer to it .. it's the May 2002 issue with the 240/silva on the cover... page 26...

Oh yeah.. to really answer your question
Exhaust is your complete piping and muffler from your headers to your muffler tip
Your muffler is part of your exhaust, ppl will often just put on a muffler for looks, a little sound, and VERY little performance.

Anyway, I've always been a big fan of the muffler of your Choice plus custom pipe bending. It's cheaper, you get the muffler style of your choice, and since the pipe is bent the same exacty way, the performance is the same.

in the letter this guy dyno'ed a 1.6l geo storm with first
stock 2" pipe
2.25" Pipe = 1.8 hp and 4.3 lb-ft torque GAIN over stock
2.5" pipe = 4.2hp and 4.6 lb-ft torque GAIN over stock

That's a big Hp jump out of a little .25" pipe increase!

Granted most Catback exhaust systems come with 2.5" or 3" pipe... which is undeniably GREAT... I'm going to go with 3" custom bent pipe , straight pipe the resonator, bore the cat, and get a Magnaflow dual 3" DTM style muffler.

I really like that muffler, and it will give me just as much gain as any catback system.

It's not often I'd disagree with 94_AcCoRd_EX so I'm expecting to be shot down here. So fire Away !

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote