View Single Post
Old 11-09-2001, 12:53 PM   #40
VTC_CiViC

Interesting discussion, here are my .02$. The D16 is a much stronger engine that it is given credit for, that's a fact. I've got a couple friend's who've both seen 14-16psi in stock motor'd D16Z6's, this is with the stock CR and of course with proper fuel management. What evdidently is the #1 fault in the D16's is the strength of the sleeves. Both motors eventually failed not because of a thrown rod or melted piston, but because the sleeve's began to warp under the 15psi pressures (this motor had no block guard or other sleeve wall reinforcment, like I said.. bone stock!). Now I personally wound't reccomend running this much psi in a daily driver, why? Well quite simply, although the motor CAN handle such boost levels, the margin of error you're not dealing with is incredibly small. The further you push the envelop, the smaller the window of error get's... one small hiccup in the fuel.. :BOOM: :: For these reason's, I'd leave the stock bottom end of a well setup D16 alone at 10-11psi, perhaps 12-13psi w/ 110 octane for track duties, but no more. Now my plans are for a full bottom end build next year courtesy of SFP here in Miami. Balanced crank, all new bearings, Eagle rods, JE 9.0:1 pistons w/ total seal rings, ARP bolts/studs, NuForms welded BG etc.. After some massaging of the head ports, I'd like to see 12psi daily, 15-16psi for track duties out of the eventual T04E-60 trim (stg 2 wheel, .48 A/R) and easy 12's all day . This on a basicaly built D16. Another great thing about building the D16, because of all of the swap monkey's out there, D16 parts are a dime a dozen.. good to know just incase anything does break