View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 PM   #25
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
I was under the impression you were replacing the d16z6 with the h22, so you'd have everthing like the head, tranny, etc, so all you would pay is 2500 for the block and then whatever it would cost for the turbo kit/tuning(2-3k$).

its displacement that makes torque, not whether its stroked or bored, also the greater displacement will help spool up a turbo faster.

i know you think that d16 turbo civics dont make much low end power, but they're all having problems with traction off the line as a result of the power they make(and since the cars are FWD) so the problem is going to be even worse I'd think with a 2.2 ltr engine.

its cool if you wanna be different, i just thought i'd give you some stuff to think about.

Nope I dont have a D16Z6 in my Honda that I am putting the H22 in. I had it in my 92 Civic hb that I just sold. My current project car is a 98 Civic CX hb that I picked up with a blown engine. As far as the traction goes your right to a point. I mean If I was dropping the clutch off the line at 3,000+ RPM in a race, I would have problems with your D16Z6 (1.8liter), and much more with an H22. I want more torque for drivability and speed. Now I would have power off idle. Enough get around town quickly just normal driving without revving the piss out of it and having instant throttle respone (which a turbo'd honda engine doesnt have). And the torque from the H22 will really shine in the higher gears. Like 3rd and 4th gear where the torque will just eat another NA D16z6 (even with the resleeve and extra displacement) or ITR.

No its not displacement that makes torque. Its stroke length and compression. Increasing bore size only really increases HP not torque. Thats why u have engines that are the same size as another manufacturer and one will make more torque than another engine with the same dispacement. Granted there are other factors like cam, head design, and intake manifold and other things, but the basics for this are the same on all engines. Unfortunately problem with increasing stroke length is the RPM capabilities as u have more reciprocating mass to throw around, creating more wear and stress. Specifically speaking more cylinder side wall loading, because the rod to stroke length ratio is smaller. Manufaturers try to make an engine that has the best of both worlds, but manufactures dont always agree on the dimensions of engines now do they.
Your D16Z6/bored to 1.8liter really wont make much more torque than the normal D16z (as long as everything stays the same). The only reason it would possibly make a few more ft pounds would be cuz the cylinder sleeves are new, the rings are new (more compression than an old worn engine), and the rods and piston are must undoubtedly going to be lighter which lessens the reciprocating mass and making the engine more efficient. It will however make substantial gains in HP. I wont presume how much more HP, but it will. As far as increased torque output on a dyno (taking into consideration that the D16Z was in good condition b4 the transformation), I would think somewhere around 5 ft pounds at the most. So given that, at the most the bored D16Z6 would only make 113 ft pounds of torque (theroretically). Still way below the 128 Ft pounds the LS/GSR/ITR, and even farther below the H22 (161 ft pounds of torque).