View Single Post
Old 11-02-2001, 08:02 PM   #36
MrFatBooty

Hey, I'm an Integra moderator over at honda-acura.net.

Initially LS/VTEC was taboo because people wanted to do it on the cheap and get good numbers. Obviously the bottom end is going to need proper prep to survive higher revs. And although the r/s ratio is a little less than ideal in the non-vtec blocks, they can be made to rev properly. I personally prefer the B20B/B20Z block, because the added displacement of the B18A/B18B block doesn't quite seem worth it to me.

Balancing the entire reciprocating assembly is a damn good idea. Regardless of r/s, if it's balanced you know it'll spin correctly. Forged rods and pistons are a good idea one for durability, two for lighter weight (read: higher revs) and three because you can raise your compression ratio and make more power. Another commonly overlooked area is the main bearings. Use the ITR pieces. You also need to use the proper dowel pins for the head, otherwise there will be too much stress induced at those points. Finally, there has to be sufficient oiling. Use no less than a GSR or ITR oil pump and a -6 a/n fitting on your oil source for the vtec solenoid and associated systems. After that, all the standard B-series power-increasing tricks apply but you're working with a higher displacement.

So yes, engine geometry is an important factor in building the engine. But, if you look at the additional stress that the geometry of an engine causes and then reinforce the necessary components to deal with that stress, it is no longer an issue.

Also the whole, "torque doesn't matter because you can just rev the engine" argument is off-base. Sure, peak power counts for something, but a flat powerband is a great resource. It allows you to build power more quickly without downshifting which is a great asset in road racing.