View Single Post
Old 09-22-2001, 05:59 PM   #32
solarpwrd

remember: B18B1=1.54 B18C1/5=1.58

Just so were not saying that Honda made a HUGE change in R/S when going to the high rpm motors. The B18C1/5 are only minimally better in R/S.

However, the mods required for these kinds of revs are sufficient. Most notably are the oil squirters on the bottom side of the cylinder walls. Other than that the only thing the R spec gets is a better balanced (or counter balanced) crank and ... guess what ... STRONGER RODS.

So ... as long as it's realized that the kind of 'WEAR & TEAR' the LS/VTEC induces beyond that of the B18C1/5 is so minimal that considering the time frame of owner ship (typically less than 4.5 years) ... it's not much for concern.

There is NO doubt why Larry (@ Endyne) and friends uses the B17A/93GSR crank for their B20/VTEC applications. And there is nothing more potent than the venerable B16A(preferably 2/3 versions ... but that's only because i'm picky hahahahaha).

I have an LS/VTEC. I have fortified it with forged/lighter connecting rods and lighter pistons (reducing rotational mass is ALWAYS a good thing heh). I have also 'up'd the ante' by taking a very good factory (forged) crank and had it (attached to the lighten'd flywheel and crank-pulley) balanced to 10k rpms.

The only thing i wished i had done was teflon coat either the walls or the pistons (well worth the money for ANY motor).

All-said-and-done ... i typically (when not in traffic) rev the motor past 8500 and the motor has NEVER even given me any reason to worry. I've inspected the rod AND main bearings 3 times since in the past 4k miles and they hardly look like they are being abused. The piston walls are also wearing well ... still see crossings (hone marks) in the cylinder walls at thrust points.

As for the long term??? Hmmm ... mayber in another 2 years i'll find a B20 and a B17A crank! Until then i'll keep hammering!

Enjoy!

oh ... sorry to be so lengthy on my first post ... heh heh