View Single Post
Old 09-15-2001, 03:06 AM   #19
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Yes, I am saying that LS/VTECs are not as reliable as either of their stock donors, the B18C or B18A-B. However, Morgan, I think you missed the point on why they don't create as much power.

Due to their engine geometry, they can't rev as high, which means two things.

1. Remember how revs=power?
2. The best camshafts live at high to stratospheric RPMs. Due to its lower redline, an LS/VTEC can't use them. About the most aggressive camshaft you can employ in an LS/VTEC is the ITR. Anything beefier than that, and you'll only be able to run with VTEC engaged for less than the top 1000 RPM of your rev range.

BDC, your posts further enforce my points. On the dyno, notice how peak horsepower is achieved at about 7700-7800 RPM, and all but ends at 8K. The engine simply isn't capable of revving any higher. Also, notice the camshafts being used- stock B16A cams. With as much work as he's put into that engine, why not use something to produce more power? The answer- there's not a whole lot that will prove beneficial, since the engine won't even rev as high as a stock GS-R or Si. Still, 187 hp isn't bad at all- Until you consider B18Cs making 225 hp at the wheels, all motor. How do they do it? They can rev higher, which means more peak horsepower, and they can run the super aggressive cams like the Todas and Juns.

LS/VTECS exist because they look good on paper. However, once you sit down and take a good long look at what makes power, the LS/VTEC idea doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If you're saying that Honda doesn't make LS/VTECs because there would be no market for them, then why make GS-Rs and Sis? Same target audience- people who want just a little more performance.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote