View Single Post
Old 09-16-2001, 01:48 AM   #22
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

ImportReview, eh? Great site, tons of good information. I've learned a lot from those guys. I hold Atomic Performance in incredibly high regard. An excellent shop that does excellent work. A friend of mine drove all the way out there to have a JDM H22 dropped into his EG. Atomic builds incredible engines, and they do things with engines that defy conventional logic. I encourage anyone with the time and resources to drive there and their engine done- it's well worth it. What is my point, exactly? Results achieved at Atomic Performance can't be used to represent typical reults. I'm not knocking the credibility of the dyno or Atomic- on the contrary. I hold them both in the highest regard. I'm simply saying that unless Atomic builds your engine, don't expect results such as those.

Quote:
...the higher you rev your car.. the shorter the engine life...

Very true. However, 9000 RPM is much harder on an LS block than a GS-R, due to the rod/stroke ratio. That's not debatable. And in order to run those aggressive cams, 9000 RPM is extremely beneficial, if not necessary.

Quote:
...It only gets an average rating for reliability because it is a higher revving motor...

However, the higher revs won't hurt the reliability of a GS-R block as much as the LS block.

I stand corrected- it's possible to rev ANY engine nice and high- with proper precautions. In order to rev an LS/VTEC to high RPMs, more precautions are necessary (READ: $$$ cha-ching!), and it still won't last as long as a comparably built GS-R block, due to the R/S.

Finally, in the top two runs, read the mod lists- no cats. Makes a big difference. Off the top of my head, I know at least 4 GS-Rs topping 225 whp with intact cats.

I'm aware that all things being equal, the car with more displacement will make more power. However, all things are not equal. A GS-R block will rev higher, safer, than an LS block will- undebatable.

"The best engine will be the best series of compromises" ~ Larry at Endyn

My opinion is that the compromise in displacement is well worth the advantages of better engine geometry.

Your opinion is that the compromise in engine geometry is well worth the added displacement.

Bottom line. We could go on for days, I'm sure. But why?
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote