Thread: ABS Light on!
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
spoogenet

Re: ABS Light on!

Quote:
Originally posted by negrobello
The ABS light on my 94 Accord EX came on a few months ago and I took it to the dealer and they said it would cost between $1500 and $2000 to repair. Is there any need to really get this fix? I live in florida and don't think I really need it. It doesn't snow here

Yeah, it depends on whether the ABS system is malfunctioning, or whether the sensor is malfunctioning.

I hope you don't think that ABS is good for, or only good for, the snow. Some people prefer no ABS at all....for them, this is irrelevant. But if you have ABS, it has its pluses and minuses. ALL, or almost all, ABS systems are helpful in the rain. 3-channel and 4-channel will all be helpful in the rain. They are mostly helpful for maintaining steering control, but they will probably stop you more quickly than you would have without ABS.

MOST ABS systems can be detrimental in the snow/ice. They will tend to give you better steering control (if steering control is attainable), but they will vastly increase your stopping distance. Some cars' ABS systems will provide better stopping distance in the snow than most drivers will attain, but most will be worse than having no ABS at all. 3-channel are especially notorious for being the worst in the snow IIRC, and 4-channel is usually preferable. However I've heard of 4-channel systems being problematic for stopping distance as well. Part of the problem, as I understand it, is that many of them simply pulse the brakes without regard to traction conditions. A good ABS system must be capable of altering its behavior depending on the road/traction conditions.

I'm not sure how Honda ABS systems perform, though....

b