Thread: tranny problems
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 12:05 PM   #6
spoogenet

When I hear pressure plate I think manual....what's the pressure plate in an auto? Is it related to the torque converter?

Anyhow, I doubt you have a MTF problem. Replacing the pressure plate on the clutch is independent of the transmission and its oil. The springs that put the pressure on the pressure plate could have broken or something of the sort, which would mean you could rev the engine with the clutch engaged and not get any power to the wheels. I would tow it back to the shop and have them inspect the pressure plate assembly once again to make sure everything is installed correctly.

If you have a hydraulic clutch then you could have leaked clutch fluid and there's no way to adjust a hydraulic clutch. If you have a non-hydraulic clutch then your clutch cables could be misaligned, but I wouldn't expect that to just die all of a sudden like what you've described.

When you say it won't go, do you mean you can rev the engine in gear without it moving, or that you can't disengage the clutch?

b