Thread: Seriously...
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 11:04 AM   #27
Mushroom

I see your point, highlander, but I think you're missing another. My civic couldn't be as fast 1/4 mi as an older stang or 240 or supra that I spent the same money on. And those cars couldn't be as fast as a motorcycle I spent the same money on. And it wouldn't be as fast as a homemade Al frame dragster I spent the same money on.

However, there's a challenge to taking an ordinary car (what's more ordinary than a civic?), personalising it and making it better than it was. There will always be something that's quicker, faster, handles better, cooler looking than whatever you drive, no matter what it is. That's not the point - the point is that it's fun to tune a car. It's a project. People have been doing it for as long as there have been cars.

Anyway, rereading your post - if you have X dollars and your only goal is to do a 1/4 mi in X seconds and you have no other objective or subjective goals, then yes, I agree, don't use civic. Your argument is very specific and you try to generalize it into "hondas aren't built for speed" which is dumb. No car is built only for speed. The S2000 is pretty fast. So is the NSX. A 240 is pretty fast, but it's not built for speed either. It has a truck engine in it.

In summary, your post and argument were just as useless as this reply.