Thread: Engine Question
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

ok well i know a lot about skylines so here it goes.

First, you said it's going to be imported?? As far as i know, leaglizing any skyline for use on US roads is not an easy task. Many things have to be changed (windows, emissions hardware, guages etc.)

Secondly, one of the only companies that does this is Motorex. And it doesn't come cheap.

Third is insurance, you're going to have to find a company that will cover you, and i'm sure they'll probably list it as some sort of exotic or a miscellaneous category, and being 17, and the skyline being a sports car, you're gonna get whacked.

Fourth, you're spoutin off engine codes. Basically the beast of the skyline is the RB26dett. That engine was found in the R32 R33 and R34 GT-R skyline. 1989 i believe is a R32 skyline, however from your description, i'm positive it's not a GT-R and is more likely a GTS (i think) or similar (hence it's not the balls to the wall, twin turbo, 2.6L engine, supercar)

BUT, you also said that they replaced it with a bored RB26. Basically if they did bore it out, and it still has its factory turbos (or similar) and they threw it in that car (and it's in good shape) then we're talking domestic killer. Basically it'll rip.

However, again the insurance issue comes up. If you tell them you want to insure a GTS they probably wouldn't have a hard time with it. But if you told them (which you will have to) that it has a bored RB26 TT motor in it, they'll probably shit their pants and you're going to pay tons of insurance on it.

Oh another thing i just thought of is that taxes/tariffs to import it. I'm not too sure on that stuff there's a lot of legalaties on importing japanese cars.

Also won't have a US-style VIN number, that could cause more problems....

So basically, although it would be sick, and original. It just doesn't sound like much of a reality or very pratical to me. I'm not trying to kill your dream i'm just trying to inform you of everything to consider. And if you still want it that badly, then research and do it! good luck