View Single Post
Old 01-13-2002, 12:35 PM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

How to Figure out your Check Engine Light code

Disclaimer: This procedure was done on a 97 Honda Civic EX. This may not work the same way for all cars. I am not responsible for any damage you may cause during this procedure.

1. Locate your Service check connector.
Note: In my 97 Civic EX (I believe it’s the same for all 6th Gen civics) it is located behind the passenger kick panel remove the 2 tabs and pop the kicker panel off. Mine had a blue connector with two wires and it was in a Green rubber plug holder, remove the holder from the connector from the rubber holder. Be careful not to pull the wires from the connector.

2. Take a paper clip and bend it to fit in the plug side of the connector this will complete the circuit.

3. Turn the ignition switch to ON ( II ).
Note: You don’t need to start the car.

4. On your MIL (malfunction Indicator Lamp) on you gauge count the flashes.
Note: It’s the light that has the little engine with the word check in it. There will be 2 types of flashes a long flash and a short flash. The long flash will hold for 10 counts of a short flash. The long flash will be your first set of numbers and the short flash will be your second set. EX. I had 4 long flashes and 1 short flash this will equal 41.

5. After you have figured out what the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is refer to this chart for your problem.

ECU Code & Meaning

Code & Meaning:

Please refer to the link in the next post!