View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #30
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Hawk Pads

I've been hearing good things about Hawk pads, so I decided to try a set (50 bones, if you're wondering). They're the "Official brake pads of the SCCA" for what it's worth. I figured, "How bad can they be?"

I got the HPS series pads. They're the 'softest' Ferro-Carbon pads that Hawk makes, and they supposed to be great for the street - not noisy like the track version[s]..

I haven't installed them yet - probably do it the morning - but these things look gnarly in the box...

I went over to the Hawk web site. They said you MUST bed these puppies in, if you want them to work right. Everyone has an opinion on what 'bedding-in' means. I usually do a series of 10-15 quick stops, from around 50MPH, or until the pads start stinking, whichever comes first. Thankfully, Hawk spells it out for you.

Sunday morning sounds like a perfect time to do this...

Quote:
What procedure does Hawk Performance recommend for burnishing brake pads for racing?

All brake pads have to be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against. Even though Hawk Performance burnishes the pads in the factory, a transfer film must be generated at the pad and rotor interface for optimal performance. Whether it is new or used rotors, you must follow the bed-in steps listed below to maximize brake performance.
  • Step 1. Seal all brake ducts.
  • Step 2. Slowly engage brakes 6 to 8 times at medium speeds Do not drag brakes or come to a complete stop.
  • Step 3. Increase speeds to simulate race conditions; allow 6 to 8 high pressure (about 500 psi) snubs at racing speeds. Total engagements for Step 2 and Step 3 should be a maximum of 15 to 20.
  • Step 4. Remove brake duct seals. Allow the system to cool for about 15 minutes. Do not engage brakes while car is parked during cool down period. Your Rotors and Hawk Performance Pads are now ready for race! Do not sand or grind the brake pads or rotors after this burnishing procedure has been completed.

What is bed-in?

For optimal use of any given brake system, the pads and rotor have to be compatible with each other. The bed-in procedure establishes that compatibility between the pad and rotor. This is achieved by a combination of rubbing speed, temperature, line pressure, and Inertia. Bed-in is also influenced by pad and rotor material chemistries. It is always recommended that only compatible pads and rotors be used in any given application. Bedding in advantages:
  • 1. Gradually heat treats the rotor and eliminates any thermal shock in the rotor.
  • 2. Burn off volatiles and moisture from the resin that is near pad surface. This will eliminate “green fade.”
  • 3. Establish a layer of transfer film about a few microns thick on the rotor surface. Shearing of the film during friction is an effective source of friction force. Otherwise, when using a freshly ground rotor without the transfer film, the main friction force would come from cutting, plowing, or scoring the asperities on the rotor surface. This leads to inconsistent braking effectiveness.
  • 4. Mate the two surfaces to a near perfect geometrical match, so that the contact area is high, and therefore the friction force is increased.
  • 5. The performance of a fresh rotor/fresh pad system would be inconsistent. This is due to ever-changing structures and properties of the two mating materials. Bed-in of pads and rotor will form a stable transfer film.
  • 6. If bedding in procedure is not applied, a stable transfer film may not be established for a long time. In other words, the rotor surface would have to be constantly regenerating a film that is not quite stable for a long time. This effect would reduce the performance and increase the wear.
SOURCE: http://www.hawkperformance.com/home.cfm
EXTRA CREDIT: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

Anyone else around here running Hawk's?
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote