View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 11:46 AM   #65
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
omfg teggy! Blah, blah, blah...

First of all, calm down. I don't talk to you like that. I would appreciate the same respect and maturity from you.

Second, you completely missed the point. The point is that if there were no replacement for displacement, the increase in output would directly coincide with an increase in displacement, and every car would have the same specific output (power output per displacement).

This is clearly not the case. If there is no replacement for displacement, how would one explain the 130 hp jump from the 260hp V8 GT Mustang to the 390hp SVT (numbers taken directly from Ford, btw)? Also, notice how I said "the same 4.6L of engine" and not the same 4.6L engine." I was stating that the displacement is the same, not that the engines are identical.

Honda does the same thing, to an extent- they extract more power from less displacement- 1797cc and 170 hp from a GSR compared to 1854cc and 140 hp in an LS. If there is no replacement for displacement, how is this possible?

Remember, power is nothing more than the product of torque and RPM. Anything increasing either will create more power. Displacement increases torque, true enough, but so do many other things. Aggressive camshafts and boost both increase torque. Therefore, would these not be replacements for displacement? They do the same thing displacement does- increase the amount of a/f being processed.

Think about it- the ONLY way to increase power is to increase the amount of a/f being processed by the engine. Displacement is one way. Absolutely anything else that increases power- be it boost, cams, intake, exhaust, revving, TUNING (thank you for bringing that up!), or anything else- is another.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote