View Single Post
Old 12-30-2001, 10:47 AM   #1
BrandonClaps

Finding Headunit Wires

If a mod can sticky this, i think it would be good, if you think so of course ;D

I know all the newer cars have wiring harness so you don't have to tap wires, but incase you've got a car that they don't make a wiring harness for, i made this little write up for you guys.

- You will need a DMM. When testing any of the wires below hold the black lead of the DMM to ground (make sure it's a good ground, bare metal), unless otherwise said and the red lead to the wires.

- To test these wires, the factory wiring harness has to be connected to the headunit and the headunit on.

- The colors that i list, are the colors that you will see coming off the aftermarket headunit wiring harness.

- Set the dial on the DMM to 20 DCV, that means it will read anything up to 20V. If you have autoranging turn that on and use DC voltage.

Constant - Yellow - 1 wire will read 12v all the time

12v - Red - Shows 12v only when car is on

Illumination - Orange - Shows 12v when parking lights are turned on.

Ground - Black - On your DMM change the dial to cotinuity. Most DMM's will make a tone when two grounds are touched..

Remote - Blue - Might not have one, but usually shows less then 12v. If you get confused between the 12v wire and this one, turn off the radio, this wire should read 0 volts when you do that

Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear - White/Green/Purple/Grey 2 of each 1 has black stripe - These voltages will flucuate, use your fade and balance to move the sound to one speaker and test the wires ;D

-Brandon