Thread: Duel Exhaust
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2001, 10:51 PM   #4
abswainer

ok this question always gets me going. yes its possible to install a Y at the cat and still get the same power output

now before i get jumped by everybody let me explain

in order to get backpressure and therefore torque some restriction is required. normally any NA tuned car will not want to exceed a 2 1/4" pipe. more for a forced induction application however its not absolutely necessary.

the diameter of the pipe is not as important as the volume of gases it transports. what i am trying to say is that if you have 2" pipe and you split it into two 2" pipes then your moving more volume therefore creating less backpressure.

so if you want the same power from two pipes that you had with one pipe and therefore the same backpress you need the volume of gas to be the same.

before you run out and get two 1" pipes realize that two 1" pipes have a greater volume than one 2" pipe.

i can't for the life of me remember the equation but i do remember that the two pipes need to be approx. 77% the size of the single pipe.

so now you have two pipes out the back making the same power and costing about twice the money and almost twice the weight.

so the real question is, do you want to go through all that trouble for more weight which leads to less performance. if the look is that important just add a dumby pipe on the other side.