View Single Post
Old 10-02-2001, 03:52 PM   #9
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

The compression is actually what makes B18A/Bs great for running FI. If you go too high with the compression, you get detonation. The 9.2:1 of the LS lends itself to FI much better than the 10.0:1 of the GSR. In addition, the slightly higher displacement and subsequent torque are also better for both types of FI.

Most people don't realize where most of the GSR's power comes from. Believe it or not, the GSR's big advantage over the LS isn't VTEC, it's the higher redline. If the LS had the same redline as a GSR, it would do approximately 140 at the wheels, stock. The GSR does approximately 145. Don't get me wrong- VTEC does make a difference- it's what allows the GSR to still come out 5 hp ahead with 37 cc's less displacement in this hypothetical comparison. And since the supercharger adds power in proportion to the power you're already working with, this is where the GSR comes out way ahead.

Finally, 150 whp is pretty low. I've seen dynos of people hitting numbers in the 185-195 range with just I/H/E in addition to the JRSC. Have to let that sucker breathe.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote