Thread: D series Power
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #20
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
you dont think a 2400lb or so civic with almost 300flywheel hp can break into the 12's!?!?!!? that dyno i posted in the other thread had a d16 making about 235flyhp and he's run a 12.8 @ 3,000ft elevation, so bring that down to sea level and that'd be low 12's, in a hatchback.

alot of that stuff that was done to that engine wasnt even neccesary like the crower springs/retainers, ferrea valves, and resleeving and if your gonna resleeve an engine why keep the stock bore? it could have made additional power for free if they would have bored it out to 77-78mm.

also in a drag race i'd be more worried about making power in the upper rpms than down low where its not gonna get used anyway, i cant think of a time where i launched below 3500 where this engine is already making 150ftlbs of torque, which is right about the peak torque rating of a stock h22, and the amount isnt gonna increase to much on an engine with just i/h/e and tuning.

knowing someone who knows someone who dyno'd this isnt really a good argument.

12.8's huh? Well most tracks correct for altitude. I seriously doubt a turbo'd D can run low 12's with just what approximately 200 WHP? Unless they are cutting some serious 60 foots with a crazy suspension. U see your RPM issue u are talking u need to take into consideration the gearing differences. Lets just face it. The Z6 tranny is horribly geared. 110 MPH in third gear! I had a Z6 tranny on my car. I know how horribly geared they are. Please. As far as all the money he spent. Well woulda, coulda, not gone with some of the parts. But u know what he did. We are talking about what he did do. Not what he didnt do. I was just saying I can go faster with an all-motor H22 for cheaper. Yes u are right about the dyno issues, about not being a very good argument. Thats not the first time I have heard that either. Did u know if u use the GSR ECU a Prelude will actually run faster ET's? It will. It just has an issue with drivability cuz its got a low fuel curve tunning issue.
This is exactly the problem with Dynos. They arent a very good effective way to tell how fast the car is. BTW have u ever noticed that an All-motor car making the exact same amount of horsepower as a boosted engine, the all-motor car will always come out on top? Its strange, and it shouldnt really happen cuz the boosted car should kill it in the torque region. But it does. once again dynos really dont tell much when it comes to ET's.