View Single Post
Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #27
Wallythecat

I actually did a Cam Gear install first (AEM Adjustable Cam Gear). I got grease on the timing belt during the install and after a week of driving, it was getting very loose and stretched out so I replaced it. A lot of people recommend doing the water pump at the same time because it's a huge pain to get to the belt, and the water pump is right there too. If you're gonna have someone else do it for you, I'd have that done in addition to the belt. In the long run, you should save some dough on the labor costs if your water pump ever goes out...

As far as a clutch, I replaced the Flywheel, clutch plates, throw out bearing & flywheel bearing (everything the kits came with). You might be able to use your existing flywheel, but you still have to have it resurfaced/machined. If you're going through all the trouble of having a "good" clutch put in, you may as well spend the extra money for a flywheel. It's another one of those "while you're at its"...

And I did have a little "crunch" in 2nd... but I don't notice it anymore. The reason I changed the clutch is that it would shudder when I was in 1st or 2nd gear... I guess that's called "clutch chatter"