View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 12:49 AM   #29
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Tchad
"yes.. 1986 GN..
RC's challenge is great.. but it doesnt consider the sound intensity to purtiy relation. Also when I asked him how the test was done, he said its with a single test tone (sine wave). Now why do you think he wouldnt do it with acoustic recordings or even a variety of test tones??

> You could take a really high power jesen and a 50w brax, and they would sound the same up to the limits of the brax! Dont beleive me then take 10K from RC. Also its not a test tone ! You are asked to compare the amps when they are playing music! Test tones are infact easier!

At a moderately low intensity, a Helix will sound pretty close to a Jensen. But turn up the volume, to compensate for an average human's hearing deficiency, and realize the marvels of high fidelity.
>As above.

If you think the amp doesnt have much to do with the dirtier sound at higher intensities, well you should probably keep thinking.
> Again it comes down to power.

This thread was originally about 4ohm vs 2ohm configs..
4 ohms is cleaner. And in theory (in reality as well!!)..
You guessed it, 8ohms will be even cleaner!

> Whats your reasoning on that one ? IMO it wont matter to our ears! Let me go to RC on this thread "holy cow!!!!!!!!talk about folks commenting on a subject they have no clue about!!!!!!!...............RC"

*when I asked, it was with test tones.. it may not be like that anymore.. When I asked, the conditions were 1 single test tone.
And high fidelity acousitc recordings show imperfections a little more.. Yikes, I quickly read thru the rules and, many things have changed..

*If an amp is rated at 2ohms, then it will be pretty much impossible to tell the difference.. For amps that arent rated at 2ohms, you'll probably hear it. We know that in the car audio world, 4ohms, is the center of reference. When you cut the impedance in half, you're doubling the distorsion (on a McInt that has a .0045 * 2 = .009.. still inaudible.. And the contrary, if you double the impedance you'll have half the distorsion)

*Like I said, its nice to a have learned a whole bunch of things on the net/books, but in the end its real life testing that slices. But education is still very necessary..

*Do you have good speakers hooked up to your cpu?? If so, please tell me you were able to hear the 2khz -- 1% that was injected?!
From where I'm sitting, that sounded pretty obvious..

whoa.. its way past my bedtime..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote