View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 10:56 AM   #12
illusion

ahhh ok, scared me for a second. I thought it was something used on top of the one used to settle the alternators, but you just had noisey alts and/or lousy primary regs, try zena some time you won't be let down. My nastiest system to date that I've installed had 5 zena 800amp alternators (we intially tried for 10 lower current alts for price, but they didn't work out, so we used 5 800amp monsters, if 4000amps isn't enough oh well) with tweaked regulators for 17v output(cheat cheat ), the sub amps and the 5 alternators along with 16 batteries were isolated from the main eletrical system which the deck ran off of(after buring up two decks we realized they didn't care for the high voltage and moved it to the main eletrical system). This was all used to power 20 Tweaked Fosgate power 1000s(the output stage was reworked on all of them) all this moved 20 orion HCCA 12s, and the guy never competed. I guess he just had so much freaking money he wanted to be the baddest on the block. We took a perfectly good suburban striped it except for the front pair of seats, welded and bondod the back doors closed, then fiberglassed the intire inside so it didn't explode on a hard bass nots, then laid the floor of batteries, and made the biggest heaviest box I've ever dealt with. Had the alternator bank custom fabbed and had to move a few things under the hood, dropped the radiator a few inches, moved some hoses and wires but it all fit. Had to use springs off of some heavy duty work trunk just to keep the ass off of the ground. It was interesting, I didn't really see the point especially since he wasn't competing but it was cool. Same guy had us to a limo van conversion, took two brand spanking new ford f-350 econoline vans cut one right behind the front doors, cut the other one after the back axle and welded the two together. put $150K worth of interior and toys into it and sold it to him for $500K Needless to say the shop I worked at was known for doing a bit of custom work.

But now I have twin degrees and call myself an engineer (I really just sit behind a computer and surf the web for $2500 a week)